We often have vegan potlucks in open public gardens and sometimes people bring along their dogs that are being raised on a plant-based diet. Whenever this happens, I try to get something special for them coz vegan doggies are the sweetest 🙂
I made this cake for the vegan fur-babes Karma (white), Legacy (golden brown), and Sultan (black & white) who honored me by happily devouring it all up! Ah, the heart-warming fulfillment of watching these innocent beings enjoy something I lovingly made for them… pure bliss!
Here’s a disclaimer though: while all the vegan dogs I have fed this to ate it happily and asked for more, none of my community dogs—who primarily live on roti/eggs//milk fed by the neighbors and scraps from the roadside non-veg dhaba—took even a single bite. I tried to force-feed a piece to Jackie and he spat it out. Yeah. However, don’t let that scare you as vegan dogs do enjoy it!
Do try if your dog is fed a plant-based diet and share their feedback 🙂
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes
Yields 8 medium slices
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 medium over-ripe bananas, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 heaped tablespoons peanut butter
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder (it is dog-friendly)
- Sift the flour and baking soda 2-3 times. Keep aside.
- Blend the bananas, lemon juice, and peanut butter until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a big mixing bowl.
- Add coconut oil to the banana mix and whisk. Add the grated carrot and cinnamon.
- Mix in the flour and chopped peanuts, if using.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
This is best served to doggies when slightly warm 🙂
Note: Ensure your dog is not allergic to peanuts/gluten.