Today, I am sharing yet another method of making vegan curd starter at home! The thing is, you can make a curd starter out of almost anything. I learned about the various methods of making a curd starter from FB posts and comments—a big thank you to everyone who shares their curd-making adventures online!
This one is a super-simple method and works so well. So, if making vegan dahi has been on your to-do list for quite some time, just make a batch of this starter and get going!!
Vegan Curd Starter with Oats
Yields: 200 ml curd starter liquid
Preparation time: 5 minutes + fermentation time
- 1 glass lukewarm water (200 ml)
- 1 heaped tablespoon rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, but recommended)
- Take the oats and sugar in a bowl. Add a glass of lukewarm water and mix. Cover and keep aside undisturbed overnight (up to 12-15 hours in winters).
- The water will be somewhat bubbly on the surface now—it’s now teeming with the “good” bacteria that help set dahi! If it’s not bubbly yet, keep aside for a few more hours.
- Filter out the oats and reserve the water. It will taste a bit fizzy and have a slight pleasantly sour taste. It can be refrigerated for up to a week in an airtight container.
Usage: To make any plant-based curd, add 2-3 tablespoons of this starter liquid to 500 ml lukewarm milk and keep aside overnight or for as long as you would for dairy curd.