Note: Try this Vegan Pan Pizza if you don’t have an oven.
Making a vegan pizza at home is very easy–and a lot of fun! You can assemble one in no time if you are using store-bought pizza bases, ready-made vegan pizza sauce, and a commercial vegan cheese. However, if you’re unable to get any of these in the markets or would like to make a pizza from scratch, then also it’s not a major chore. Making a homemade pizza is a process I thoroughly enjoy, and I’m sure you would too 🙂
While most store-bought pizza bases are made of maida, I prefer to make mine with whole wheat flour. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t even call for yeast! If making the pizza sauce at home, I’d recommend preparing it a day in advance to save time. The homemade cashew cheese comes together in minutes, you can make it while the bases are baking. As for the toppings, use any combination of veggies of your choice: mushroom, capsicum, baby corn, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, etc. You can also add pieces of fried tofu, shreds of mock meat, and prepared soy chunks. Have fun making homemade pizzas!
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Yields: 2 medium pizzas
1 Indian teacup = 150 ml
For the base:
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (you can use maida if preferred)
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of salt
- Warm water to knead the dough, as required (around 1/2 cup)
For the toppings:
- 1 ½ cup thinly sliced mixed veggies (mushroom, capsicum, baby corn, etc.)
- Sun-dried tomatoes/olives, as required
- 2-3 tablespoon pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 2-3 tablespoon cashew cheese spread
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Take the flour in a big mixing bowl. Add vinegar, salt + baking soda. Gradually add the water and knead into soft, pliable dough as you’d for rotis. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal balls. Take one and roll it out into a circular disk, like a paratha. Poke holes in it with a fork.
- Slather pizza sauce on the base. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C (390 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
- Spread a generous portion of cashew cheese on the base. Sprinkle the sliced veggies and sun-dried tomatoes/olives. Sprinkle Italian seasoning.
- Bake for a further 7-8 minutes. Serve hot! Repeat steps 3-5 with the second ball of dough.