You know the all too familiar scenario. It’s 4 o’clock on a lazy Sunday afternoon when a vegan friend calls you up to tell that they’re on their way to your place. Just like that, out of the blue! You hurriedly rummage through your pantry to see what you can offer to your surprise guest. Thankfully you find a packet of Hide & Seek biscuits and some namkeen. Good… But hey! What about the tea? There’s not a single drop of dairy-free milk in your fridge right now! What do you do?!
It’s at moments like this that this Vegan Masala Chai for Surprise Visitors comes in handy. If you have some cashews nuts on hand, you can easily make a flavourful vegan masala chai in no time. It takes hardly fifteen minutes from start to finish. Yass, bring on the chai!!
Also try: Foolproof Vegan Masala Chai Tea
Vegan Masala Chai for Surprise Visitors
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Yields 3 cups
- 1/3 cup broken cashews
- 3.5 cups water + 1 more for boiling cashews
- 3 teaspoons black tea leaves
- 5-6 teaspoons sugar/jaggery (add less or more, as desired)
- A small piece of ginger, crushed
- A big pinch of chai masala
1. Put the cashews in a pan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Drain and rinse the cashews and grind with 1 cup of water until smooth and creamy. Strain. This is your thick cashew milk. Keep aside.
3. Boil 2.5 cups of water in a saucepan. Add the sugar/jaggery, tea leaves, crushed ginger, and chai masala. Boil for a minute and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
4. Add the thick cashew milk prepared in step 2. Mix well with a spoon. Do NOT boil. Simmer on low heat for a minute or so. Strain and serve hot!