Years ago, my friend Romit shared with me his method of making a healthy raw vegan version of “cream” by blending tender coconut meat. You could use this “cream” to make a variety of fruit-based desserts like layered parfaits, fruit cream, or soft serves. Even though the idea had been simmering in my mind for a while, I finally got around to trying this only now. And my only regret, as they say, is “why didn’t I do it earlier?” Since tender coconut meat by itself is not sweet enough, I added some dates and raisins to up the sweetness quotient.
This Raw Vegan Fruit Cream is made of just fruits and nothing else! It’s super healthy, pretty to look at, easy to make, and yummy to eat. I used whatever fruits I had at the time–mango, banana, kiwi, and pomegranate. You can also add guava, grapes, apple, pear, and/or pineapple.
Yields 1 large or 2 small serving(s)
Time Taken: 10 minutes (approx.)
1 Indian teacup = 150 ml
- Meat from one medium fresh tender coconut, around 1-1.5 cups
- 1 medium ripe mango, roughly chopped
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced into coins
- 1 medium ripe kiwi, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 2-3 dates, deseeded & soaked in hot water
- 1 tablespoon raisins, soaked in water & drained
- 1 big pinch elaichi (green cardamom) powder
- Chill the tender coconut meat and the chopped fruits for 30 minutes in the freezer before you begin. Blend the tender coconut meat, soaked dates, and elaichi powder until smooth and creamy. This is your raw “cream.”
- Reserve some of the chopped fruits for decoration and mix the rest along with the soaked raisins with the “cream.” Decorate with the reserved fruits and serve immediately.
You can have this as a refreshing breakfast or a healthy evening snack.