When it comes to weeknight meals, I prefer simple and easy dishes that can be prepared quickly. After all, who is really in a mood to cook elaborate meals on a Thursday evening of all the days? Well, once in a while I do prepare something special even on weeknights, but mostly it’s rotis with a simple oil-free dal or subzi like this Mushroom Palak Subzi.
Oil-free cooking might seem daunting at first, but it’s really no big deal when it comes to normal day-to-day dals and subzis. I do use oil, but I’m trying to minimize its consumption. So, most of the mundane dishes I prepare are oil-free and many times I can’t even tell the difference! If you’re interested in oil-free cooking, do try making your regular recipes sans the oil. It’s actually fun 🙂
Preparation time: 40 minutes (approx)
- 3 cups quartered button mushrooms
- 2 cups tightly packed spinach
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera seeds
- 4-5 peppercorns
- A small stick of cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- Juice from half a lemon
- Bring a pan of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain off the water and rinse the spinach in cold water. Grind the blanched spinach into a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadhai. Add the jeera, peppercorns, and cinnamon when it’s hot enough and dry roast for a few seconds on low-medium heat.
- Add the onion. Sprinkle a few drops of water and sauté. When the onion turns translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste. Sprinkle more water if needed. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushroom and mix well. The mushroom will start releasing water. Cook on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until most of the water evaporates.
- Mix in the turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, and salt. Give it a good stir to combine. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spinach puree and mix well. Cook for a few more minutes until most of the moisture evaporates and the mushroom pieces are well coated with the spinach puree. Mix in the lemon juice just before serving.