Love peanut butter or know someone who does? Then you should definitely try making your own! I’m a big time PB fan but it was only in August 2016 that I realized how simple (and economical) it is to make this stuff at home!
If you can spare 30 minutes, you can easily whip up a batch of rich, creamy, gooey peanut butter with just one ingredient: shelled raw peanuts!
Homemade Peanut Butter
Preparation time: 40 minutes (approx)
Yields: 1 Cup (approx)
- 2 Cups Shelled Raw Peanuts
- Whizz the peanuts in the mixer for 3-4 seconds. They will break down into small pieces. It’s okay if some whole peanuts remain.
- Dry roast the broken peanuts in a kadhai/saucepan over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, mixing frequently, until it becomes golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Grind the roasted peanuts in a mixer (or food processor) on the highest setting for a few seconds until it becomes powdery.
- Scrap down the sides and continue grinding. After a few seconds, it will begin to release oil. Continue scraping down and grinding until it becomes all smooth and creamy! Your homemade peanut butter is ready!
It will thicken on being refrigerated (Peanut butter doesn’t really need to be refrigerated, but why take the risk in humid Indian summers?)
NOTE: If you’re using a mixer, please keep in mind that you might face overheating issues. Please give frequent breaks of 2-3 minutes during the grinding process for the motor to cool down.