I’m a part of this amazing Vegan Cooking Support group on WhatsApp where we discuss everything from easy-to-make dairy alternatives to special items fit for parties and functions.
One particular day, the discussion turned to apple cakes and someone posted a link to this Vegan German Apple Cake—Apfelkuchen mit Mandeln! Just how exotic! I wanted to make it so badly but the issue was, the recipe was too complicated for lazy me. So I googled for another recipe and came across this one—a gorgeous, drool-worthy cake that called for egg replacement powder. Once again, not a practical recipe for me.
So, ultimately I was like, “What the heck… Lemme make my own!” And so I did.
This Vegan Apple Cake is something you can make with ingredients already available in your pantry. Nothing exotic, nothing fancy. Simple and easy to make!
The cake is moist and dense, studded with juicy chunks of apple and roasted nuts. Addition of ginger and spices ensure that your kitchen smells heavenly while the cake is baking 🙂
Easy Vegan Apple Cake
Preparation time: 1 hour + macerating time
Yields: 6 big slices or 8 medium ones
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 medium-sized ripe apples, peeled and roughly chopped (2 ½-3 cups)
- 1 cup brown sugar (add more if apples are not sweet enough)
- A small piece of ginger, grated
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- A big pinch of green cardamom powder (elaichi)
- ½ cup coconut oil (or any neutral smelling oil)
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted nuts (cashews/almonds/walnuts)
- A pinch of salt
- Mix together chopped apples, brown sugar, grated ginger, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon and green cardamom powder. Keep aside for 2-3 hours.
- Sieve whole wheat flour and baking soda 2-3 times.
- In a big mixing bowl whisk the apple mixture with the coconut oil and add the chopped nuts. Gradually add the flour and mix until combined. The batter will be thick. Don’t add any extra liquid as the apples will release moisture while baking.
- Transfer to a greased cake mold and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before unmolding.