Yes. I said “Chai Tea.” Sorry if that offends you, but I’m not sorry! I find the term “chai tea” extremely cute and will use it. Learn to live with it lol 😀
My dad is a pro when it comes to making vegan masala chai. He uses homemade cashew milk to make me cups of strong and fragrant masala chai. Check out his method here. On the other hand, my mother gets a bit nervous while making “vegan” things for me. So, her approach to making tea is a bit different. She’s more cautious coz “vegan milk is so delicate!” I feel I should share her method as well as it’s a foolproof one! In this method, the risk of milk splitting is almost nil. Even if you have never tried making vegan chai before, this is something you can try confidently. It works so well 🙂 !!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Yields 3 cups
- 2.5 cup water
- 1 cup cashew/soy/coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons black tea leaves
- 5-6 teaspoons sugar/jaggery (add less or more, as desired)
- A small piece of ginger, crushed
- A big pinch of chai masala
- Boil 2.5 cups of water in a saucepan. Add the sugar/jaggery, tea leaves, crushed ginger, and chai masala. Simmer for a minute. Filter to get your tea decoction.
- In a separate saucepan combine the tea decoction + plant-based milk. Mix well with a spoon and heat gently over medium flame for a few seconds. Serve immediately!
Note: Adjust the ratio of water to milk according to your personal preference.